These Blueberry Muffins lemon zest flavored ones are just the easiest to make. Indeed the best recipe for blueberry muffins which are homemade and moist
Berries and baking are a match made in heaven. In India, berries are not easily available as their not grown locally but we love berries and wait to grab them when in stores. Having fresh blueberries this week got me baking some delicious muffins and thus sharing the recipe with all of you
Easy Homemade Blueberry Muffins
I’ve been baking all through this week. From Chocolate Walnut Brownies to Big Brownie Cookies my kitchen feels like a chocolate zone. But through all this, I discovered a dealer in Bombay who sells blueberries for a more reasonable price than the expensive food market ones and that got me baking these Lemon Blueberry muffins that are absolutely yumm..
About This Homemade Breakfast Muffin Recipe
Extra fluffy and moist with a good balance of oil and butter in the muffin
Loaded with juicy fresh blueberries that are not just in the batter but also in the muffin topping
Garnished with coconut flakes and blueberries, these muffins make the best breakfast recipe
Use frozen or fresh berries for baking?
I’m a berry lover but unfortunately, they do not grow here so we’re forced to use frozen blueberries most of the time. But when fresh blueberries are available, we make the most of it
I like using fresh blueberries for baking, they’re just excellent in cookies, cupcakes, muffins, pies, etc. There is less sinking and color leeching with fresh berries. Nevertheless, frozen blueberries are good too, I recommend using them directly from the freezer for baking, no thawing required. If you thaw the blueberries before using, they tend to get mushy and leave color all around, if you like that, go ahead with thawing the berries
Blueberry Muffin Ingredients
Butter – Salted butter is perfect. But feel free to use unsalted butter with a pinch of salt too. Room temperature butter is a must !!
Lemon zest – Blueberries and lemon zest make a brilliant combination. Do not grate the inner white portion of the limes, that’s bitter. Only the outer yellow skin is what we need. It’s best to freeze the lemons before grating, it makes it easier while grating the skin
Sugar – Use fine sugar or castor. It’s easier to dissolve in the batter
Egg – Room temperature is a must. Use a big size egg, its key to fluffy muffins
Vanilla essence – A must, to avoid the whiff of the eggs in the batter. Vanilla extract or fresh vanilla paste can also be used
Oil – Baking muffins with a combination of oil and butter ensures the muffins are tasty and moist too
All-purpose flour & baking powder – Regular flour with baking powder is perfect. However, self-raising flour can also be used (without adding additional baking powder to it)
Blueberries – Fresh Or frozen, both work well. If using frozen, use it directly from the freezer
Dried coconut flakes – Coconut flakes are available easily online, they look pretty when added on top of the muffins. You can skip it if unavailable
How To Make The Best Blueberry Muffins
Step 1 – Combine the butter with the lemon zest. Adding flavor to fat ensures better flavor. Then, whisk in the sugar to make a fluffy and creamy mixture
Step 2 – Add the egg, oil, and vanilla essence. Adding vanilla essence ensures there’s no egg whiff and adding the oil makes sure the cupcakes are moist after baking
Step 3 – Throw in a mixture of flour and baking powder. Mix well, add milk in intervals. Make sure there are no lumps
Step 4 – Add the blueberries to the batter. Coating the blueberries with a tablespoon of the flour mixture, ensures the berries don’t sink to the base during the baking process. I do not overmix, but just swirl in the blueberries in the batter
Step 5 – For the topping, combine the blueberries with a little sugar & dried coconut flakes. Sprinkle on the top and bake the muffins until golden brown. Enjoy !!
More Muffin Recipes
Healthy Banana Oatmeal Muffins
For the muffin batter (yields 7 muffins)
- 100 grams (½ cup) castor sugar Or superfine granulated sugar
- 60 grams (¼ cup) salted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 egg
- 125 grams (1 cup) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 60 ml (¼ cup) milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 100 grams (½ cup) fresh blueberries (you can use frozen too)
For the muffin topping
- 50 grams (¼ cup) fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoon castor sugar OR superfine granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoon dried coconut flakes (optional)
For the muffin batter
- In a bowl, combine the all purpose flour and baking powder together. Mix well. Take a tablespoon of this mixture and add it to the blueberries. Toss the blueberries well and set both the mixtures aside
- Next, combine the butter & lime zest in a bowl. Whisk well for a minute and add the sugar. Continue whisking till the batter turns fluffy and creamy
- Add the egg, oil and vanilla essence to the batter and continue beating. To this, add the flour mixture and milk a little at a time. Whisk well, making sure there are no lumps
- Lastly, add the blueberries that were tossed in a tablespoon of flour. Do not overmix once the blueberries are added (just roughly mix it for 2 seconds once added)
- Pour the batter in cupcake liners and fill them upto ¾th
For the topping
- Combine the blueberries with the sugar and coconut flakes. Mix well and sprinkle this mixture over the muffins. Tap the muffin tray a little, to make sure the topping sits well
- Bake these in a preheated oven at 170 degrees C for 20-25 mins or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Enjoy !!
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you
Such yummy looking blueberry muffins. I love the coconut topping!
Alisha Rodrigues says
Thankyou !! Blueberry muffins with coconut are yummm
You can’t beat blueberry muffins. Perfect with a cup of coffee for an afternoon pick-me-up.
Alisha Rodrigues says
Can’t agree more..
Definitely trying this recipe! I’m also a berry lover, and had tasted my fair share of Blueberry muffins but i think your recipe is something special. Never tried blueberry muffins with lemon zest but I think this is the start. <3
Alisha Rodrigues says
Lemon zest just makes these muffins taste better .. Your going to love it
Beth Sachs says
I love lemon with blueberries and these muffins look so delicious!
Alisha Rodrigues says