Its all about flan in this post. I made this for dessert last night and everyone loved it. It just didn’t taste great but looked great too. The TEXTURE is so smooth and the flavors are at its best. I couldn’t resist but share this recipe with all of you.
Flan is a very old dessert all over the world. Each restaurant serves it in their own unique style. The classic flan contain milk, eggs, and sugar and then everyone started playing with recipes and new flavors were introduced. My absolute favorite is the coconut & cream cheese flan I make. The flavors complement each other so well, the cream cheese gives the flan its creamy texture and its rich cheese flavor and the coconut leaves a mild flavor making it so creamy and PERFECT
Let’s begin with discussing the ingredients,
Coconut cream: You can use coconut milk for this one, however, the flavor & texture that coconut cream gives is much more defined. Coconut cream is thicker and creamier than milk. Just in case you do not get it you can use coconut milk (same quantity as mentioned for coconut cream)
Cream Cheese: I know a lot of people who use different types of cheese to make flan.according to me the best is cream cheese. It helps in maintaining the creamy flavor and does not make the flavors too sharp. In this recipe, you need to make sure to use the cream cheese at room temperature and not when it is chilled and firm
Baking: Flan is baked in an oven with a water bath. This means after you have transferred the mixture to a baking tray you need place it on another tray which contains water. You need to make sure no water enters the flan dish. Placing this to bake with a water bath ensures that the flan bakes without getting dry.
You need to bake the flan until an inserted skewer comes out dry and the center the flan is not runny but wobbly. In case you notice that the water from the water bath is evaporated while baking you need to refill some more water into the tray
When to eat ??
While most people prefer having their flan served when cold, I recommend you consume this one when still warm out of the oven. The flavor is so real and the texture is perfect. Not to firm as the warm caramelized sugar syrup coats the flan well.
Here’s the recipe to make this one
- 100 grams castor sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 100 grams castor sugar
- 30 grams cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 200 ml coconut cream
- 3 eggs
- In a dry saucepan, add the sugar and water and let it melt without stirring. The sugar should turn golden brown with all the granules completely melted. Pour this melted sugar in a baking dish or heatproof glass bowl in which you plan to bake the flan. Coat the dish completely on all sides and let sit for 5 mins or until your flan mixture is ready. This will help the caramel syrup to firm up a bit before you put the flan mixture over it
- In a bowl, beat the sugar & cream cheese together until smooth. To this add the vanilla essence, coconut cream and eggs one at a time. Beat well.
- Once the mixture is ready, transfer it into the baking dish which has the caramel syrup coated on all sides. While adding the batter to the baking dish, strain the mixture using a strainer. This will eliminate any lumps present in the mixture and remove the air bubbles
- Place this baking dish in a tray filled with hot water (water bath)
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 1 hr 15 mins or until an inserted skewer comes out clean
- Once done, remove from the oven and unmould after 20 mins. Consume immediately or chill in the refrigerator for an hour or two before consuming