The Perfect Irish Apple Cake With Vanilla Custard Sauce is dense and loaded with the goodness of apples. Moreover, when served with the vanilla custard it tastes super delicious. Also, this Irish Apple Cake serves as a good dessert option and is loved by many.
So, the Irish Apple Cake with Custard Sauce is one of Ireland’s most loved desserts and I love it too.
This apple cake is dense, more like bread and taste great with custard sauce. Moreover, this cake is a simple spiced apple cake and what makes it even special is the sugary crust especially when topped with loads of creamy custard sauce. However, if served without custard sauce it is more like having apple bread but if you really want to enjoy this one, no skipping the creamy custard sauce.
The Perfect Irish Apple Cake With Vanilla Custard Sauce
So, this cake is originally made with tart granny smith apples (green) however in India I use red apples to make this cake. Note, it turns out equally good.
Apple Cake Recipe
First of all, the apples in this recipe are diced and not grated, this makes sure that the apples don’t turn mushy but remain chunky still retaining its crunch after baking. However, chopping them really fine will break down the crunchy effect, therefore, I’d recommend chopping them into chunky cube-like pieces.
Note, this Irish apple cake is incomplete if it is not served with the custard sauce. Therefore, to make the vanilla custard sauce you need to cook the egg yolks over medium heat or else you will get scrambled breakfast eggs. Thus, the ratio of milk and eggs need to be perfect to get the right consistency.
Also, before baking the cake castor sugar needs to be sprinkled over it as a result, this gives the cake a sweet crust. In conclusion, this cake texture is thick, more like bread dough, therefore, don’t panic if your cake batter is not cake batter like, however, it will still be perfect once baked.
So, here’s the recipe for making a perfect and Easy Apple Cake With Custard Sauce
Authentic Irish Apple Cake
For the cake
- 3 large apples
- 175 grams salted butter, cold
- ¾ cup + 3 tbsps castor sugar
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 50 grams chopped almonds
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- castor sugar for sprinkling on top of the cake
For the custard sauce
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 4 tbsps sugar
- 2 tsps vanilla essence
For the cake
- In a large bowl, add the flour, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder and baking powder, mix well
- Add the cold butter to the flour mixture and using a beater mix well. The mixture should be crumbly like breadcrumbs texture. Add the castor sugar and mix
- Peel the apples and cut them into cubes (medium sized), add the apples to the flour & butter mixture and toss well. Add the almonds to the mixture and toss
- In another bowl, add the milk & eggs, beat well. Pour this mixture into the apples & flour mixture. Mix well, do not over mix. Mix only until all the ingredients are well combined
- In an 8-inch baking tray, pour the cake batter and using a spatula, flatten the top of the cake. Sprinkle with some castor sugar onto the top of the cake and let bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 50 to 60 mins or until an inserted skewer comes out dry
FOR THE CUSTARD SAUCE
- In a pan, heat the milk & sugar and bring to a boil, remove from heat
- In a bowl, vanilla essence & egg yolks. Beat well
- While beating add the boiled milk, stirring constantly making the mixture has no lumps
- Pour the mixture back into a frying pan and cook on medium flame stirring constantly. You will notice that within 5 minutes or less the mixture will thicken. This custard mixture is not very thick so do not overcook it as we want it to be more like OIL consistency. Once you've achieved the right consistency switch off the gas. You can serve it warm or cold with the apple cake, whatever you prefer.
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you